Saturday, January 30, 2010

Day 2 recap

Well, this day was neither good or bad, but I did finally try vegetable juice. Let's just say, it was a non-starter.

The day started off well. I got up around 7am and got to writing right away. I did laundry in the freezing cold and listened to some more of Pandora's Spa Music Channel. But then I got tired. Really tired. Couldn't move from the couch tired.

I tried to get off my butt and use the Jack Lalaane juicer for the first time. The setup was a breeze, but clearly I pulled too many veggies because the juice ended up filling three small glasses.

The recipe from the detox box only said this: carrots, beets, celery, leafy greens, parsley, cilantro, ginger. It didn't give amounts. So I guessed, and guessed in very wrong amounts. I put in WAY too much celery and cilantro. Once I was ready to drink the stuff, that was the first time I thought "what the hell am I doing?" It was awful. Beyond awful. Vegetable juice already tastes heinous without some tomato but to have that pinchy, tangy aftertaste from the parsley and cilantro was just a slap in the face. At least I know for next time.

Ialso spent part of the day reading Dr. Hyman's blog posts on The Huffington Post. What he says just rings unmistakably true to me. From the gluten allergy to his work in Haiti - he is just awesome. Thank god for dr. hyman because I would not be making these changes now if he wasn't doing his work.

I'm also trying to pretend that I'm not coated in jetfuel every day, thanks to my good friends at LaGuardia airport. Lately, they've been flying so low to the house that I have to look out the window to see if it's going to land on my front yard. I get points for trying, right? Even though I'm trying to get all the toxins out of my life (even getting non-toxic dish soap) I can't help but be bothered every time I hear those jet engines.

Hey, at least I haven't given up yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Elizabeth said...

Thank you, Anonymous! I think I will.